WSDM 2017 Startup Day FAQ
Just want to attend the Startup Day
Register at the conference registration site and select attendee only.
No need to bother with the rest of the text on this page.
I want to attend the Startup Day and present a poster
Register for presenting your startup poster at: registration site ,
and select the option for presenting a poster. For details of the content and format of poster and pitch is provided below.
The startup topic should be in the general area of the data mining, AI, social networking, web search, big data analytics, NLP, and platforms for enabling such large data analysis. Look at the call for papers for WSDM to get an idea of the topics:
call for papers.
Poster participation requirements
- Register for presenting your startup poster (see above).
- Email a brief one line summary/description of what the startup does, and company website, to tkanungo at microsoft dot com.
Sample desription: DailyAnalytics is a big data, predictive analytics startup focused on Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) .
Also, you can have a look at YC List for more examples of short descriptions.
- Prepare a 3 min pitch (content/format details below)
- Prepare a poster (content/format details below)
Poster and pitch content details
- What problem are you aiming to solve?
- Whats the addressable market size?
- Where would you like to be in 5 years?
- Whats your "unfair advantage"?
- Any core IP/technology?
- Note: the pitch can cover technology/ip in brief and poster/demo can go over the details.
- 3 minutes
- PowerPoint slides, max 5
- Location: Large Hall in Guildhall
- Table: 6ft x 2.5 ft (180cm x 75cm)
- A power strip with 220 volts and WiFi for demos, if needed.
- Poster board physical dimesions: 2 meter high x 1 meter wide. Velcro stickers will be provided to stick your poster onto the board. No thumbtacks, tapes, etc. allowed. Each board will be separate.
- Pictures of the poster boards:
Startup pitch advice
Can I print my poster in Cambridge?